PROGRAM OF PROFESSIONAL MASTER’S DEGREE STUDIES
"Military Leadership and Security"
Educational classification code: 46 863
Validity period of accreditation: program’s accreditation certificate (#290) is valid until 31 December, 2023
Acquired degree: Professional Master’ s degree in Military Leadership and Security
Program Director: Kristīne Atmante
Duration of the studies: 1,5 years (3 semesters), full-time study program
Amount of acquired credit points: 90 ETCS – European Credit Transfer System
Study fee: free of charge
Place of studies: Baltic Defence College (Tartu, Estonia) and Latvian National Defence Academy.
Study Language: English.
General objectives of curriculum:
General objectives of the Curriculum: to educate senior officers and civil servants on top-level national security issues. Apart from Operational and Strategic level military operations these include issues of broader perspective: the significance of modern technologies and irregular warfare in resolving of current international conflicts. The Graduates of the Curriculum should be able to serve effectively in National Headquarters, Commands and Staffs on higher level of national military organizations as well as in International organizations of military security, such as NATO, EU.
Tasks of the curriculum:
1.1 To provide students with profound and up-to-date knowledge and possibility to acquire high-level skills in the field of security and defence which comprises strategic thinking, military operations, history and strategic planning and other consecutive subjects necessary for professionals who will serve in higher military command and staff positions.
1.2. To train students as officers and civil servants responsible for their conduct and capable to understand multicultural values.
1.3. The main priority is the development of students’ abilities, skills and attitudes necessary for scientific research.
1.4. To enable students to use modern information technologies (IT).
1.5. To acquire the skills of self-education and research studying corresponding literature, carrying out research, working on projects and other tasks related to national defence. To provide students with the necessary theoretical knowledge enabling them to continue studies for PhD.
General requirements of admission
The applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- Having a senior officer’s rank or being a civil servant from NATO, PfP and EU countries
- A student or a graduate of the BALTDEFCOL’s Joint Command and General Staff Course
- Has graduated 3,5 years long 2nd level higher education Bachelor’s Degree program of an accredited University or equivalent.
Enrolment Criteria and Requirements:
- 2nd or higher level of higher education (at least 3,5 years program)
- Submit copies of bachelor’s diploma and its supplements (academic transcript)
- If the documents are in other foreign language, they should be translated into the Latvian or English languages and the translations approved by a notary.
- Applicant must acquire an academic recognition certificate from Academic Information Centre in Riga (www.AIC.lv) and submit it to Latvian National Defence Academy (LNDA). LNDA can assist in the acquisition of the certificate.
- The results of the competition depends on the quality of the master's thesis research proposal submitted by the applicant and the level of knowledge of English.
To apply for the studies, you must submit the following:
- Application form for enrolment
- Research proposal for Master Thesis Research
- Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendations for the studies in Master's programme (if there are any)
- Copy of valid passport or ID
Applications will be accepted until 1 October, 2021
Latvian National Defence Academy
Riga, Ezermala street 8, LV-1014
tel.: +371 67076881, fax: +371 67076888
Program Director: Kristīne Atmante Kristine.Atmante@mil.lv
Dr. Col Zdzislaw Sliwa, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Asta Maskaliunaite, email@example.com
Dr.psych. Andžela Rožcenkova, Andzela.Rozcenkova@mil.lv
Dr.sc.pol. Ieva Bērziņa, Ieva.Berzina@mil.lv
Dr.oec. Jānis Bērziņš, Janis.Berzins01@mil.lv
Dr.sc.pol. Toms Rostoks, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Lukáš Dyčka, Lukas.Dycka@baltdefcol.org